How’s your tomato crop coming along? Got tomatoes? Well, here’s my tasty take on tomato juice. I hope you like it spicy! (Probably makes a great Bloody Mary without the need to add anything but the alcohol.) The recipe below yields 2 cups. Try it and let us know what you think! If you enjoy the 2-cup recipe, double it, bottle it, and have it in your fridge for a few days. If you do that, remember to shake before pouring! Enjoy!
- 2# tomatoes
- 1t celery seed
- 1T sugar
- 1t salt
- 1t black pepper
- 2t tabasco (hot sauce)
- 2t lemon juice
- Cut tomatoes small but not chopped. Leave skins and seeds (for ease, as these will be strained later).
- Put all ingredients into a 3-qt saucepan.
- Stir to mix ingredients.
- Cover the pan. (Don’t want to lose any tomato vapors.)
- This happens quickly when covered: Cook on medium to bring to a boil, then immediately:
- Lower heat, stir, allow to boil slowly, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice occasionally.
- Strain through a screen into a heat-proof bowl or another saucepan, squishing all juice out.
- Discard skins and seeds.
- Let juice cool, then put in a bottle and chill in your refrigerator.
Yield: 2 cups (16 oz)